Sunday, March 4, 2007

Email Exchange With MU Nursing Secretary

To: Secretary A
From: Lydia Bertrand
Date: Friday, February 23

Secretary A,

I’m wondering if you can help explain something to me about the DE program. I remember people talking about some kind of "special agreement" that Marquette made with the state in order for us to get RNs without us having a degree. Do you know anything more about this agreement and how it works?

Mississippi has denied my application for a license because my MU transcript does not contain a graduation date. When I started researching it, I found that the WI Nurse Practice Act requires evidence of graduation just like the MS law. I am very confused.

Lydia Bertrand
_________________________________________________
Secretary A was not really the best person to answer my question, so she forwarded my email to Secretary B, who promptly responded.
_________________________________________________
To: Lydia Bertrand
From: Secretary B
Date: Friday, February 23

Hi Lydia,

The special agreement is that you can work as an RN at the BSN level as long as you continue to complete the MSN program.

Some states choose to honor the fact that you have completed a BSN "equivalent" while others will not.

We can write a letter stating that you have completed an equivalent if they will accept it. The fact that you received RN licensure here could help.

Otherwise, all you can do is go to a university, have them evaluate your transcripts and do what they require for you to receive a BSN with them.

Let me know if you need anything or have other questions.

Secretary B
_________________________________________________
To: Secretary B
From: Lydia Bertrand
Date: Friday, February 23

Secretary B,

Thanks for getting back to me. I have some more questions about your response.

1. You said that people could work as an RN as long as they continue to complete the MSN program - but I know of individuals from my cohort that left the program, but became RN’s in WI and are still working there as nurses.

2. The WI nurse practice act states that you have to show proof of graduation in order to become an RN. Was there some kind of amendment, or another law that makes an exception for Marquette’s DE program? I don’t understand how some ‘special agreement’ is sufficient to override a state law.

Thanks for your help.

Lydia Bertrand
_________________________________________________
To: Lydia Bertrand
From: Secretary B
Date: Friday, February 23

It would be better to speak with Dr. Miller about this. You can call me or (414) xxx-xxxx and [Secretary C] or I will transfer you.

I guess I would say there has been a loophole on this one. WI has chosen to honor the equivalency.

But the fact that other states do not honor this is one reason why we need students to complete the program.

We can state what you’ve completed, but you have not received a degree since you did not finish the program. It is up to other states whether they will recognize your accomplishments or not. _________________________________________________

Let me recap some issues that were brought up in this email exchange:

  1. The secretary lied to me about the content of this "special agreement." There are no restrictions on the WI nursing licenses of Direct-Entry students - even if they do not continue on to the MSN portion of the program. However, it is in Marquette’s best interests for Direct-Entry students to think that there is a restriction like this.

  2. She admits that the Direct-Entry program is operating under a loophole.

  3. The Nurse Practice Act says nothing about accepting a "BSN equivalent." The law clearly states that one must actually graduate. Period.

  4. She implies that the reason Marquette is using this loophole in the Direct-Entry program is in order to attempt to keep students at Marquette for the MSN part of the program. They could award Direct-Entry students BSNs if they wanted to (we do all the work that regular BSN students do, and pay even more per credit than they do) but they choose not to.